Academic Schools / Departments
• SCHOOL OF MATHEMATICS & STATISTICS
• SCHOOL OF CHEMISTRY
• SCHOOL OF COMPUTER & INFORMATION SCIENCES
• SCHOOL OF HUMANITIES
• SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT STUDIES
• S N SCHOOL OF ARTS & COMMUNICATION
• SCHOOL OF PHYSICS
• SCHOOL OF LIFE SCIENCES
• SCHOOL OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
• SCHOOL OF ENGG. SCIENCES & TECH
• SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS
• SCHOOL OF MEDICAL SCIENCES
Centers of Research
- Advanced Centre of Research in High Energy Materials (ACRHEM)
- Centre for Nano Technology
- Centre for Applied Linguistics & Translation Studies
- Centre for Advanced Studies in Electronics Science &Technology (CASEST)
- Centre for Cognitive Sciences
- Centre for Comparative Literature
- Centre for Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences (CEOAS)
- Centre for English Language Studies (CELS)
- Centre for Endangered Languages and Mother Tongue Studies
- Centre for Folk Culture Studies
- Centre for Health Psychology
- Centre for Modelling, Simulation & Design
- Centre for Regional Studies
- Centre for Study of Socail Exclusion and Inclusive Policy
- Centre for Study of Indian Diaspora
- Centre for Women’s Studies
- Centre for Ambedkar Studies
Facilities and Services offered
a) IGM Library
The Indira Gandhi Memorial Library is one of the important central facilities of the University catering to the information needs of faculty, research scholars and students in Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, Management, Sciences and Engineering. This library building was inaugurated by his Excellency late Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma the then Vice President of India, on 21-10-1988 and named after late Prime Minister Mrs. Indira Gandhi.
The main objective is to make the Library the most effective Learning Resource centre to contribute to the quality of higher education. The library also created learning environment by establishing Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC) Searching Area, Laptop zone with Wi-Fi facility.
The library with its excellent IT infrastructure facilities has achieved several distinctions in the country.
- IGM Library is the first University Library in India
- To fully automate all its housekeeping operations
- To undertake turnkey projects for computerizing other libraries and to provide network facilities in Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University, Hyderabad and City Central Library (City Grandhalaya Samstha, Ashok Nagar), Hyderabad.
- To offer one year Post Graduate Diploma in Library Automation and Networking (PGDLAN) under Distance Education mode from 1998 with greater emphasis on practices and projects.
- To subscribe online search databases since the year 1998 and full text databases from 2001
- To become one of the governing body member of OCLC (Worldcat)
- To install electronic surveillance and security system
- The National Board of Higher Mathematics (NBHM) has recognized IGM Library as their Regional Library for South Zone from the year 1993 to provide resources to mathematics/statistics faculty and research scholars.
b) Computer Center and Campus Network Facility
To facilitate, foster, and support the essential teaching and research goals of University of Hyderabad through the deployment and delivery of essential IT and ITeS domain services to the university’s faculty, staff, and students.
The Computer Centre:
- Internet services established in the year 1993 with a 9.6 Kbps bandwidth VSAT link from ERNET as a transit node
- Providing support services related to Teaching, Administration, Finance, Recruitment, Academic & Examination, and e-Governance
- Technical Training
- Organizing and conducting ICT computer awareness/literacy courses
- Resource persons for courses of Schools/Departments/Centers related to ICT
- Developing and administering University Website
- Developing and maintaining University Database Server located at Academic, Finance and CNF
- E-Governance services in the university
c) University Hostels
The University has 23 hostels that accommodate over 5000 male and female students. Distributed across the campus, the hostels are nestled in lush greenery and on a pollution-free campus. The hostels are geographically located in both North and South campuses for the students to be nearer to their departments of study/research.
Priority is accorded to students from distant places. Hostel facility is not provided to students residing in the municipality jurisdiction of the twin cities viz Hyderabad-Secunderabad. The hostel allotment process also follows the reservation procedure as per university norms.
Nine hostels also provide dining facilities. The hostel administration is led by a Chief Warden and Deputy Chief Wardens.
Each hostel is administered by one or two Wardens appointed to oversee all matters relating to the hostel.
The campus has a guest house, the Tagore International Guest House which is exclusive for International students and scholars.
University of Hyderabad has developed excellent sports, games and yoga facilities for the university community to participate in various games and sports and fitness activities of their choice and keep themselves fit and healthy. University has a main sports complex in which a full-fledged standard size cricket pavilion, 400 meters standard running tack, Kho-kho playing facility, Volleyball court, open Karate dojo, an indoor stadium housing four Yonex synthetic badminton courts with LED illumination, a state of the art fitness centre in 4000 sq ft, an indoor sports hall of 4000 sq ft containing Table tennis, caroms and chess facilities. The state of the art fitness centre houses most modern and highly functional fitness equipment that may help the university community to enhance their fitness scientifically. University also has another sports complex which has a well maintained grass football field, two synthetic tennis courts, a Cemented Basketball court, a state of the art fitness centre exclusively for women, a Yoga centre for yoga practice and teaching. The fitness centre for women which exists in an area of 2000 sq. ft. also contains very modern and functional fitness equipment to help the women folk of the university to enhance and maintain their functional fitness. Regular yoga classes in the well maintained yoga centre under the guidance of yoga instructors makes the university community to be very well aware on yogic practices and keep them functionally fit and healthy. In the south campus, there is a sports complex, in which there are two synthetic volleyball courts and one basketball court with illumination. All the above facilities are well maintained and also all these facilities are offered free of cost to the university community. University sports complexes also function during Saturday and Sunday except on the closed public holidays. University also participates in the Inter university tournaments and competitions regularly and sends university teams to such competitions after appropriate preparations.
e) Health Center
The Health Centre provides comprehensive primary health care and emergency medical services 24x7x365.
The Out-Patient Department (OPD) functions from 9.00am. to 5.30pm. on all University working days.
Doctors are available on call on holidays.
The total dependent population is about 18,000 people which include students, employees and their authorised dependents, retired employees & their dependents and the various non-entitled people like ex-students, servant quarters residents, sanitary staff, security staff, house-keeping staff, various projects staff, Kendriya Vidyalaya campus school students, Data Entry Operators and so many other temporary staff etc. working in the University.
Support services available
Emergency: There are various types of emergency cases round the clock, which are attended by the Doctor on call in the Health Centre and are treated either in the Health Centre or are referred to other Super Speciality Hospitals depending on the case under medical supervision in the Health Centre Ambulance.
X-RAY: X-Ray facility is available from 9 am. to 5.30 pm. on all University working days. It is to be noted that the x-ray facility is not available after duty hours and on Sundays and holidays. Patients requiring the facility during this time are referred to nearest hospitals for such facilities.
Laboratory: The lab performs basic blood urine and other Bio-Chemical tests during 9 am. to 5.30 pm. on all University working days.
Pharmacy: Medicines are provided to the Health Centre dependents at free of cost from 9 am. to 5.30 pm. on all working days.
Ambulance: The Health Centre has two functioning ambulances of which one ambulance working on 3 shifts 24x7x365 days. Health Insurance is mandatory for all the students exists in the University to provide health care and to cover expenses towards in-patient treatment subject to a maximum of Rs. 75,000. All the students must apply for medical insurance in the prescribed form by a notified date. The insurance premium per annum is payable at the time of admission in July for freshers and along with the fees for the Monsoon Semester in the case of current students. Students will be required to pay the insurance premium to be eligible for any kind of medical aid referred to recognised hospitals.
The University campus also has the following amenities;
The campus has two Shopping Complexes in both North and South campuses. The Shopping Complexes have canteens, salons, grocery store/s etc.
Two food courts work in both North and South campuses. They provide breakfast, lunch and dinner facilities.
The Post Office is centrally located next to the Guest House. It functions between 9.30 am and 5 pm. The Post Office provides Speed Post, Registered Post and Stamps.
The campus has three ATMs–one near the Administration Building, one at the Shopping Complex (North) and one next to the Tagore International House (South Campus).